It’s been a minute since I’ve sat down to write a post. I’m not sure if it’s just me or others are feeling this, but I’m having a tough time getting my footing with so many balls in the air this year. We have lots of looming transitions in our house that are forcing me to tap into new places of my brain and parent in a way I haven’t had to before. They are all such good and exciting things, but they do take a lot of attention and I don’t want to mess them up. I’m so grateful to be able to take the time to help my kids when they really need me and then reconnect with this great little community when I can.
So since I’ve been a little quieter than usual on my blog, I have a huge, long list of things I’ve been saving up to share, so let’s just get to it! Here are my five favorites from this week.
- Winter Skin Tune-Up: Chicago’s gray winter days are the best time to get some of the more intensive treatments done to your skin. Last week, I went to Erase Medispa in Lake Forest to see Kara and get my face dermaplaned. I think that is my most favorite thing that I do. If you’ve never heard of dermaplaning, it’s when a skilled aesthetician uses a medical-grade blade and scrapes off the old and weathered top layers of your skin. I always feel so much better when I do this–my makeup just glides on and any products I use soak in so much better. Additionally, Kara did a BBL treatment. BBL stands for Broadband Light that is used to remove sun damage and produce skin that is more even in tone and texture. I’m going to do a bigger story about this next week and show you what’s involved, but the results are pretty incredible, even after only one treatment. The best part–no down time. Stay tuned!
- Amazon coat: I know that I’m very late to the game on this one, but I bought the Amazon coat that went viral last year and I just love it. When I tell you it is one of the warmest coats in my closet, it’s no lie. I saw my cute (and super stylish) friend Beth wearing it last week and knew that I had to have one. It’s great for running errands in the cold and wet weather. The only thing that’s a little wonky is the sizing. I bought the medium and it feels roomy, but at the same time, I think a small would be too small. But for the price, it’s a great value. I think this would make a great coat for college students, too, where you want them to be warm but not invest in an expensive coat.
- Joe Montana–Cool Under Pressure: This documentary is one to watch! I love football, but even if I didn’t, I think I would still love this multi-part series streaming on Peacock. Football great Joe Montana is so likable and the people they interview as part of this documentary make him even more so. Tom Brady was 4-years-old when he saw Joe Montana play for the first time and he talks about the impact Joe has had on his life both personally and professionally. And the love story between Joe and his wife Jennifer is so sweet. If you aren’t getting enough football this Super Bowl weekend, you can put this on your list.
- Bent Fork’s Ho-Hos: This is a warning to local dessert lovers, but Bent Fork has done it again with their delicious homemade Ho-Hos. When I heard they now were featuring strawberry-flavored ones, I was very skeptical, but this may be their best version yet. Definite diet busters, but worth every guilty thought.
- Lake Forest Acute Care: I have to give a much-deserved shout out to Lake Forest Acute Care. Last night, at 5:15 p.m., I got a call from the high school that my son Leo took an elbow to the head during basketball practice and needed stitches. As I was heading out the door to pick him up, I called Lake Forest Acute Care and they told me they closed at 6 p.m., but that they would wait for us. Sure enough, the did. They stitched up my boy and we were home by 6:30 p.m. They are just the best of the best!
Finally, here is a little Valentine’s Day bonus. I’m a heart-loving enthusiast, so Valentine’s Day with all it’s pink and red love, is like Christmas for me. Here are some links to fun things I found that you can treat yourself to next week or file away for your Valentine for next year. I’m crazy about this, this, this, this, or this!
Have a terrific weekend!