Grace did it again with her Monday kitchen takeover. This Healthy Cashew Chicken, inspired by one of her favorite bloggers Erin Lives Whole, was a huge hit. Even our Jimmy gave it a two thumbs up! This recipe serves 4, so Grace doubled it for our family.
What You Need
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 cups roughly chopped broccoli
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger
- 1/2 cup water chestnuts
- 3/4 cup cashews
- 1/3 cup soy sauce (tamari if gluten free)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1.5 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch (or arrowroot powder)
- 3/4 cup water
What You Need to Do
- Make sure your chicken and veggies are chopped and ready to be cooked. Set aside.
- Prepare the sauce by whisking together all of the “sauce” ingredients in a small bowl. Set it aside.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon oil.
- Cook your chicken breasts until almost all the way cooked, about 5 minutes, turning a few times.
- Once mostly cooked, take the chicken out of the pan and set aside.
- Add 1 more tablespoon oil to the pan and throw the bell pepper and broccoli in.
- After sautéing for 3-4 minutes, add in the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the sauce and let it thicken.
- Once it starts to thicken, stir back in the chicken, and add the cashews and water chestnuts.
- Cook for a few more minutes until thickened.
- Serve over rice or cauliflower rice. Sprinkle with more cashews and sesame seeds.