It was my sweet friend Courtney Holsworth with the winning recipe last week when I was worried I wasn’t going to be home in time to make dinner on Monday night. She had just posted one of her go-to slow cooker recipes for when her boys are on different fields playing baseball when it should be dinner time. Her recipe for Sweet & Spicy Baseball Chicken is a home run! Courtney’s recipe serves 4, so I doubled this for my “team.”
What You Need
- 3 pounds chicken, ideally use a mix of thighs and breasts
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Asian chili paste
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated in
- Rice, lettuce, freshly chopped cilantro, for serving
What You Do
- Place chicken in slow cooker.** Whisk together ingredients and pour over chicken. Mix well. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Serve however you’d like. Courtney likes to serve her sweet & spicy chicken in lettuce wraps with plenty of cilantro on top. We served ours over some Rice-a-Roni Fried Rice with a side of broccoli.
** Last Monday when I made this dinner, I sadly didn’t leave enough time to cook it in my slow cooker. I ended up baking it in my oven at 350 on the convection setting for 40 minutes. This worked and was still a crowd pleaser. I’m thinking the only difference might be that the flavors would have been a tad richer had the chicken had more time to absorb the marinade (and I wouldn’t have been in a full-on sweat trying to get dinner on the table!).
Happy happy Monday!