Friends, it feels like the sunshine and heat have finally remembered how much Chicagoans love them. Happy summer, at last, to us!
I’m not sure if other moms are feeling this way, but while my children are on summer vacation, their mama is not! In fact, their lack of schedule has made weekly meal planning more necessary than usual for me to keep my last threads of sanity.
To avoid my typical meal rotation rut, I’ve been combing Pinterest and other bloggers to help me out. One of my favorite resources is this busy baseball mom from Barrington named Courtney who posts recipes almost daily on her Instagram @alifefromscratch. I honestly don’t know what I’d do without her. She’s made summer meal prep easy and delicious and is quickly becoming the queen of single-sheet-pan dinners (my favorites!). If you’re not currently following Courtney, stop reading my post now and check her out.
Even though I like eating lighter in the summer, I find that my kids (and husband) are starving at dinner time and in the mood for something heavier. To try and make everyone happy, I alternate between heartier meals and healthier options throughout the week. But this week it was pouring rain when I was scheduling out our dinners so things are a bit on more on the comfort food side. With disclaimers on the table, here’s what the Scheidlers are having for dinner.
This week’s dinners:
- Monday: Vodka sauce with browned sausage served over baked spaghetti squash, zucchini, mixed greens salad, and garlic bread
- Tuesday: Crockpot tacos, cilantro lime rice, fresh fruit
- Wednesday: Rainbow sheet pan veggies with chicken (check out @alifefromscratch’s Instagram feed for this recipe) brown rice, fresh fruit
- Thursday: Chicken enchiladas, mixed greens salad, fresh fruit
- Friday: Pizza night
- Saturday: Kids’ choice
- Sunday: Hamburgers and asparagus on the grill with corn on the cob, watermelon, and blueberry crisp for dessert (Again, check out @alifefromscratch’s Instagram feed for this amazing recipe!)
Easy Chicken Enchiladas
- 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 small can red enchilada sauce
- 1 large can red enchilada sauce
- 1 15 oz. jar of salsa (Frontera preferred)
- 2 small cans diced green chilis
- 4 cups shredded cheddar
- 8 large flour tortillas
- olives, jalapeños, lettuce, guacamole, etc. for topping
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Prep a 9 x 13 baking dish by pouring a small can of enchilada sauce around it. Pour any extra in a large bowl with shredded chicken. Add in most of the large can of enchilada sauce (leave some to pour on top), the salsa, the diced green chilis, and two cups of shredded cheddar. Mix together.
Roll this chicken mixture inside each tortilla in the baking dish, seam side down. Pour the rest of your reserved enchilada sauce over the top along with the remaining two cups of shredded cheddar. Bake for 30 minutes covered, and 10 more uncovered. Top with your choice of toppings.
Thank you Courtney at @alifefromscratch for spicing up our dinners!