Happy holiday weekend! I had every intention of posting a “Friday Five” yesterday, but my son called at the last minute and told me he was getting the weekend off from football and that he could come home for the 4th of July. The only problem–he needed me to come and pick him up. So my writing time was replaced with a few hours of colorful tales from the college dorm that were a little R-rated but super funny anyway.
Any who…Saturday morning news it is! Here are the five things I’m loving this week. Let’s go!
- New summer book: I finally finished The Housewives: The Real Story Behind the Real Housewives by Brian Moylan. If you’re a Bravo junkie like me, there weren’t a lot of new details in this tell-all, but it was interesting to learn a little bit more about how these shows are cast and how much money the housewives make. I’m moving on to a new beach read today that I’ve heard lots of good things about: People We Meet On Vacation by Emily Henry. It’s supposed to be easy-breezy with great characters…just perfect for this holiday weekend.
- Running Biker Shorts: I mentioned in my stories this week that I’ve worked running back into my exercise routine and it feels really good. Part of the success has been having the right running shorts. Most shorts tend to be too low-waisted for me or they don’t often enough compression in the thigh area if you know what I mean. These biker shorts from Amazon, while not the most flattering fit, have been awesome. I’ve been wearing them with a longer workout tank, like this one from lululemon. With this top, you hardly even notice that they’re not the best looking. But for me, function wins over fashion here. (I ordered a large for reference, definitely size up with these shorts.)
- Self Tanner: I kicked off this summer with the new self-tanning products from Bluemercury’s M-61 line. This week, I saw they released the M-61 Hydraboost Gradual Tan Serum. Like the tanning wipes, the tan builds gradually. The difference with this product is that the serum feels more hydrating when it goes on, leaving your face feeling less tight than it does with the tanning wipe. I also find that the serum doesn’t smell as much like a self tanner as some do. If you’re looking for a little glow, this product is worth trying.
- White Blouse: I’m always on the hunt for the perfect white blouse and I think I found the best one for summer. This little puffed sleeve number from J. Crew can go from white jeans to a long floral skirt without missing a beat. (I wear a size 6.) J. Crew’s end-of-season sale is happening right now so it’s a great time to pick this one up.
- Art Pop: I was excited to learn this week that Artists on the Bluff, the Deerpath Art League, and the Artisan Guild have come together to create an art gallery pop-up space just off of Market Square in Lake Forest called Art Pop. Its new show, “Pop of Color,” will open this Thursday, July 8. It will feature the work of 20+ local artists who bring color to life in multiple forms of art: paintings, photography, jewelry, three dimensional art, millinery, and much more. I’m especially excited to see my younger brother Joey’s paintings! Click here for a sneak peek. The gallery is open to the public free of charge and the works of art are available for sale. If you’re local, stop by the current location at 724 Western Avenue. They hope to be in this space, with rotating shows, through the end of 2021.
Have a wonderful 4th of July!